I’ve been planning a post like this for a bit now, but I feel now is the best time to post this. As someone who has spent a lot of time over the past few months having to find ways to keep busy I thought I’d share some of the things that have helped me out.
For those who don’t know I graduated from college in December, and I’ve been on the job search ever since. Even with all the job searching I’ve found I had a lot of free time to myself. Which at first is great, but after a little bit it starts to get rough. I’m someone who likes a schedule, and likes having responsibilities. Without having those things my mental health was starting to plummet. It made me realize that I had to do something quickly to get myself back on track. A lot of the things that I found are things that are easy to do at home, and by yourself. I thought I could share those things as I feel people may be able to benefit from the ideas due to the current suggestion of social distancing. I know social distancing may seem really difficult for some, but there are ways to make it easier. With all of that being said here’s my list of things that I’ve been doing to stay busy, and will continue to do during this time.
- Make a schedule! At the moment I have no job/school schedule since I’m out of school and still job searching. After a while that got old, and I found making myself a schedule made things easier.
- Make your bed up every day, and if you have curtains/blinds then maybe open those as well.
- While I’ve slacked on this recently I’ve been trying to do better about not checking my phone as soon as I wake up. That way I don’t start the day with depressing news. So maybe journal about what you want the day to bring/what you want to get done, read a book, do a devotion, do your skincare routine, listen to music etc.
- Learn something new. I’ve been trying to do this a lot recently, and it’s so much fun to be able to learn about the things that I actually want to learn about. You can do this through online classes or documentaries. I’ve mostly watched a lot of documentaries, and I feel I’ve learned a lot. I’ve also been trying to learn more about my family through documents we have, and it’s so cool to learn about. So find something you’re interested in and start learning about it.
- This kind of goes with learning something new, but maybe try learning a new instrument. Maybe you have an instrument you once bought in plans to play it, but now it’s just laying around. Pick it back up! Over the last few months I’ve started playing guitar, and it’s been so much fun.
- Read that book you’ve been putting off reading for ages.
- Journal! Alright this is one of my favorite ways to pass time, but I really do highly recommend it. Whether it’s journaling about life, doing a writing prompt, writing down quotes/lyrics you like, or whatever you want to write. It’s a great way to keep busy!
- Get a workout in! There are so many benefits to working out obviously, but I know it really helps me with my mental health. You don’t even have to have equipment to workout. There are plenty of suggestions you can find online for workouts you can do around the house.
- Listen to new music/podcasts. TV can be great, but after a while it gets old. Sometimes it’s refreshing to change it up with music or a podcast.
- Go outside! I know in Georgia it’s been raining a lot and that can make it hard to get outside. Enjoy what you can of the nice days though. I love taking a blanket out to my backyard along with my journal or a book and enjoying a beautiful day.
- Learn a new recipe. One thing I wanted to do in 2020 is learn some new recipes. I’ve tried a couple of new ones now, and it’s been so much fun. It’s also been pretty tasty!
- Clean your house/room. Sometimes having a day where you just clean is great. Obviously at first it may suck, but at the end of the day it’s so worth it. When you look around and see everything in it’s right place, and when everything smells nice it just makes you feel good.
- DIY! I’ve been feeling kind of crafty recently, and have tried a few projects. It’s so much fun to take an idea in your head and make it happen.
- Play a skills/puzzle game. I’ve been trying to stay away from suggesting too many phone/tv ideas, but this is one I do recommend. I found that sometimes doing a puzzle game or skills game can be beneficial. It gives my mind something to do, and I have fun while doing it.
- Pick up an old hobby!
- Plan out new outfit ideas/try a new makeup or hair routine.
- Watch a movie or TV show you haven’t seen in a while.
- Redecorate a space in your house/room
- Have a skincare day!
- Reach out to those you love! Preferably reach out to them digitally at the moment, and save in person meetings for a later time.
Those are twenty things I’ve done in the last few months to try to keep myself busy, and hopefully you’ll find something to try as well. I just thought I’d share because I’ve seen a lot of people sharing Netflix shows, and not a lot of other options. I know that after a while TV gets old, and you need something else to do. So when binge watching all those new Netflix shows gets old maybe try getting away from the TV for a bit. These suggestions have helped me a lot in keeping my mental health up and they also allow me to continue to grow as a person. So as we do our best to social distance over the new few weeks maybe consider picking back up that thing you used to love so much or maybe consider trying something new.
Hope you all stay safe out there, and do your best to avoid being around others too much. Let’s show kindness during this time and do our best to make the best of this time. I’d love to hear what you’d suggest for people to do during this time. Maybe it’s something I can add to my own list. Comment below with your suggestions. Have a great week!